Oh, you pretty things...

"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places." - Ernest Hemingway

8.07.2009

No.More.Soup.

[Genesis 25:19-34]

I just read about Jacob and Esau. For the 30th time.

First off, this poor guy Esau. He came out of the womb looking like a monkey. Verse 25 says 'his whole body was like a hairy garment.' So, already...he wasn't having a very happy childhood.

Second, he was favored by his dad for the food he could cook. His ma favored his brother. Then, he trades his brother his birth right for some soup. Really, man?

One Day, he goes out hunting, and comes home starving saying he was about to die if he didn't eat. Now, was that real or exaggeration? Any way, he gives up his birth right. His life blessing. For some crummy soup.

I used to think this guy was a complete idiot. I mean seriously...soup for a birth right...? I judged Esau, and I don't think he deserved it one bit.

How many times have I done that? How many times have I robbed myself of a blessing just because I was selfish and impatient.

I know that I've settled so many times for things that were easy. Things that I thought I wanted or thought I needed. I've ignored and given up things that God has wanted to bless me with for cheap and easy thrills.

That's what I know. But what about the times I don't know about? What about the things that slipped under the radar...or the things that I was too blind to realize?
So that's it. No more soup.

I know I'm going to freak out and mess up. But I'm going to make a conscious effort to think before I make hasty decisions. No more trading a blessed life for a can of Campbell's Tomato Soup.


no.more.soup.


Fenn xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment